Universal Electronics Tapped by Cox Communications to Provide New Remotes
CYPRESS, Calif., Jun 14, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC), today announced that Cox Communications has selected UEI to supply their next generation universal remote control. The customized remote control includes many new features tailored for the third-largest US cable television service provider and complements Cox's new Trio(TM) interactive guide.
The new Cox custom remote control has begun shipping from UEI to Cox and will be available to the entire Cox subscriber base. Along with control of the set-top boxes Cox deploys, this universal remote can also control televisions, DVD players, and audio-visual attachments for home theaters, all covered by UEI's world-class IR control database.
- User Button - This feature will allow easy access to Trio(TM) interactive guide personalized guide profiles from which the consumer can access his or her own list of favorite channels and personalized guide features.
- Closed Captioning Button - This feature will allow users to easily and quickly toggle Closed Captioning display on and off.
- Backlighting - This feature improves ease of use in dark or dimly lit TV viewing environments.
- Low battery indication - This feature provides support for on-screen notification that remote control battery should be replaced.
- UEI QuickSwap - Typical remote control devices for cable operators are programmed to work with only one set-top-box from the factory. With UEI's QuickSwap, the remote can be re-programmed for multiple set-top boxes, eliminating the need for operators, such as Cox, to keep a separate inventory of remotes for each set-top-box deployment.
- UEI SimpleSet - Universal remote control setup is dramatically simplified by eliminating the need to reference a code list or enter device codes. With UEI SimpleSet, the most popular brands of TVs, DVDs, and Audio devices are assigned to digit keys 0-9, allowing most subscribers to set up a device in 3 simple steps.
- Easy Upgradeable Port - The new Cox custom remote controls include an upgrade port on the outside of the remote for quick and easy access for field software upgrades. This feature, combined with UEI's EZ Updater PC application and UEI EZ Updater Hub, will enable multiple remotes to be updated in seconds with a single click of a mouse.
"We are honored and excited to continue our relationship with such a leader in cable entertainment as Cox," says Paul Arling, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for Universal Electronics. "Both of our companies have a relentless focus on the customer, and together we will continue to provide an even better user experience."
"At a time when the consumer has more home entertainment choices than ever, cable television still leads the way," says Lisa Pickelsimer, Executive Director of Product Development for Cox Communications. "What's equally important as the depth of content offerings from Cox is the ease of use for our customers. Cox's goal in creating the new remote control design is to improve the usability of our video offerings."
About Universal Electronics Inc.
Founded in 1986, Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) is the global leader in wireless control technology for the connected home. UEI designs, develops, and delivers innovative solutions that enable consumers to control entertainment devices, digital media, and home systems. The company's broad portfolio of patented technologies and database of infrared control software have been adopted by many Fortune 500 companies in the consumer electronics, subscription broadcast, and computing industries. UEI sells and licenses wireless control products through distributors and retailers under the One For All(R) brand name. More information is available at http://www.uei.com.
All trademarks appearing herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE: Universal Electronics Inc.